About The Ministry
The Ministry was first established under the name of the Ministry of Information and Culture, according to Article 58 of the temporary constitution of the United Arab Emirates, and under Federal Decree No. 1 of 1972, regarding the functions of the Ministries and the powers of the Ministers. In 2006, Federal Decree-Law No. 1 of 2006 for amending some provisions of Federal Law No. 1 of 1972, was issued, upon which the Ministry of Information and Culture was canceled and Ministry of Culture, Youth and Community Development was developed. This Ministry took the following functions: • Terms of reference which was appointed to the Ministry of Information and Culture, in relation to matters of culture on the effective date of this decree-law. • Terms of reference which was appointed to the Ministry of Education, in relation to youth affairs on the effective date of this decree/-law. • Affairs of community development and formation programs and plans to do so. • Any other terms of reference to be vested by virtue of the laws, regulations and decisions of the Council of Ministers.
Laws relating to Ministry Affairs
- Federal Decree-Law No. 1 of 2006 for amending some provisions of Federal Law No. (1) of 1972 regarding the functions of the Ministries and the powers of the Ministers.
- Federal Law No. 1 of 1972 regarding the functions of the Ministries and the powers of the Ministers, as amended.
Ministry Terms of Reference
- Representing the state in outside and inside cultural and artistic conferences and establishment and supervision the artistic festivals so as not to fall within the other entities’ terms of reference.
- Establish cultural seasons to benefit from the outcome of human thought and to open knowledge horizons for citizens.
- Provide library services to the public through public libraries across the state.
- To protect and develop all forms of arts so as to maintain the artistic heritage of the state, to encourage and achieve a suitable environment for growth of the creative faculties, to show new talents and to encourage authoring and translation in the various aspects of literature.
- To explore and maintain the historical heritage of the country.
- To take part in revival and documentation of the Arab history and national heritage to be a historical reference and a source for the level of progress of literature and arts.
- To preserve national identity, strengthen the sense of belonging, permanent investment of young people’s abilities, embrace charity and direct them towards full community development to achieve these goals.
- To create a unit interested in preparing the younger generations for leadership, reconnaissance and communication through the applied programs.
- To raise the level of community cultural awareness, improve practices and innovations, enrich cultural exchanges in order to serve the cause of development of the community by promoting behaviors and to devote the method of civilization as a practical approach between the different categories of society.
- To coordinate with various involved entities to find methods that lead to integrate the incoming categories in the community fabric of the State, making them effective and positive elements in maintaining the fundamentals of this community and its interests.
- To coordinate activities between the federal government, local governments and media organizations to protect the cultural heritage of the state and sponsor initiatives that aim to create channels of communication with civil society organizations and the private sector to serve these issues.
- To disseminate cultural investment values so the culture becomes a productive sector for the national economy.
- Any terms of reference to be assigned to the Ministry under the laws, regulations and decisions issued by the federal authorities.